This policy applies to all faculty, staff, and student employees of Nazareth College.
The College is committed to maintaining a drug-free environment. In accordance with the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988, the College prohibits the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession, or use of a controlled substance (drugs) in and on Nazareth College owned or controlled property.
A. Sanctions for Violation of Non-compliance
The College will impose action in accordance with its discipline policy and/or require satisfactory participation in a drug rehabilitation program by any faculty member, staff member, or student employee who has violated any provisions of this policy.
B. Compliance as a Condition of Employment
Compliance with provisions of this policy shall be a condition of employment at Nazareth College.
C. Employee Obligation for Notification of Conviction
In order to comply with federal law, any faculty member, staff member, or student employee convicted of any criminal drug statute violation occurring in or on the workplace premises is required to notify the employer within five (5) calendar days following such conviction.
D. Employer Obligation for Notification
The College is obligated to notify the appropriate federal granting agency within ten (10) days of having received notice of an employee conviction as described in C above.
E. Maintenance of a Drug-Free Workplace
Good faith efforts on the part of the College to establish and maintain a drug-free workplace will include providing ongoing drug awareness educational programs and dissemination of drug awareness information for all members of the College community, as well as implementation and strict enforcement of this policy.
- The College will notify each faculty member, staff member, and student employee of this policy, as well as those newly hired, emphasizing the obligation for compliance as a condition of employment.
- Any faculty or staff member convicted of any criminal drug statute violation that has occurred in or on the workplace premises will provide the appropriate academic officer or supervisor with notification, preferably written, of such conviction indicating any resultant conditions, within five (5) calendar days of conviction. Student employees shall notify the vice president for student development.
- An academic officer, supervisor, or student employment official having knowledge or receiving notification of a conviction, as described in number 2 above, shall immediately provide, in writing, notice to the associate vice president of human resources (or designee).
- The Nazareth Substance Abuse Education Committee, in conjunction with the human resources department, will offer on-going drug education and awareness programs for the College community, as well as provide drug informational materials. Faculty, staff, and students are expected to avail themselves of these programs.
- This policy will be maintained as a permanent part of the Staff Personnel Policy Manual, Faculty Policy Manual, and Student Handbook.
- Questions concerning this policy should be referred to the human resources department; student employees should refer questions to the office of student development.