American Language Institute - Summer Program Highlights
Ildiko Antal's video story of the "greatest summer holiday" in her life.
- Send Completed Application Materials To:
American Language Institute Director
Center for International Education
Nazareth College of Rochester
4245 East Avenue
Rochester, New York 14618-3790
Welcome to our ALI Summer Programs website!
Each summer, Nazareth College hosts a variety of groups from all over the world to attend intensive English-language courses, participate in traditional American cultural events, and visit Niagara Falls, local museums, and other historical landmarks. The Summer Language Institute is an English language and cultural immersion program providing students an authentic opportunity of living and studying on a vibrant American campus. Students will share these experiences with others from around the globe. Living, studying, and experiencing American culture, students develop life-long bonds and a global perspective.
Summer Language Institute 2014 Schedule
- July 14 - August 1, 2014 (3 weeks), high-intermediate to advanced levels
- June 30 - August 1, 2014 (5 weeks), all levels
- June 30 - August 15, 2014 (7 weeks), all levels
Programs can also be designed to meet your needs as a business, government, or educational organization.
If you are interested in applying, please send us the following information:
1.) Completed application form
2.) A copy of your passport photo ID page
3.) A bank statement showing enough funds to cover tuition, fees, and living expenses for the program you have selected.
In addition, please complete the ALI Summer Arrival and Departure Form and submit this as soon as you make your travel arrangements (at least 2 weeks prior to arrival). If you are sending information about a group, please send one completed form with your group's information.
Click on the link below to learn more about how one group of local high school students experienced life at Nazareth: Living the College Dream
Summer Program Details
Classes in all sections run from 8:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. (EST) Monday through Friday. Classes are taught in an integrated English format, stressing oral communication and collaborative learning.
Embedded in the class time, students will utilize the Emerson Language Lab, an interactive technology-based foreign language instruction lab.
- In addition to the classroom hours in the lab, each teacher will require students to complete a certain amount of lab work during the open lab hours, minimum 2 hours each week.
- Students are required to complete hours/units/lessons of study as assigned by the teacher on the "Tell Me More" software (which will be provided).
Students successfully completing the Summer Language Institute program requirements will be awarded certificates. Certificates reflect attendance and achievement. Depending on the student's home university, the completion certificate may be used for credit. Contact your home university to see if the credits will transfer.
Students successfully completing the AIEP semester-long academic courses will have these courses listed on a Nazareth College transcript.
Estimated Summer Language Institute 2014 Costs
*3 week program: $1950 USD ($1170 tuition; $780 room and board)
*5 week program: $3150 USD ($1890 tuition; $1260 room and board)
*7 week program: $4250 USD ($2550 tuition; $1700 room and board)
The costs above include: class instruction, language software, room (double occupancy, shared bath), and board (partial). Single room is $450 extra for the 3-week program, $750 extra for the 5-week program, and $1050 extra for the 7-week program. Applications received after May 1, 2013 may not be processed or may incur a $150 late fee.
*Partial board includes meals Monday through Friday.
Weekend meals, transportation outside of planned cultural events, and personal items and supplies are the responsibility of the student.
The following guidelines must be followed in order to receive certification and/or credit for coursework.
- Students are expected to attend all classes, lectures and field trips.
- Punctuality to class is expected daily.
- Students are expected to speak as much English as possible within and outside of the classroom.
- Students are expected to participate in the classroom environment as established by the teacher to the best of their ability.
- Students are expected to come to class with all homework and assignments completed daily.
- Students are expected to come to class with all materials daily.
The following refund schedule applies to the Summer Language Institute:
3 week - withdrawal before course begins 100% reduction
- withdrawal within first week of class 25% reduction
- withdrawal after first week no reduction
5 week - withdrawal before course begins 100% reduction
- withdrawal within first week of class 50% reduction
- withdrawal within second week of class 25% reduction
- withdrawal after second week no reduction
7 week - withdrawal before course begins 100% reduction
- withdrawal within first week of class 80% reduction
- withdrawal within second week of class 50% reduction
- withdrawal within third week of class 25% reduction
- withdrawal after third week no reduction
You will share a dormitory room with one other person. Bathrooms are available on each floor. Single rooms may be requested for an additional $150 per week (bathrooms will still be shared).
We try to match each student with a roommate that is not from their native country, however, it is not always possible.
Meals are only Mondays through Fridays.
If you already have accommodations in Rochester, please let us know if you will be living off-campus. However, most of our students in the Summer Language Institute live on-campus to take advantage of the cultural activities offered.