Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions


average total grant for 2013 incoming freshmen

Have more questions? Contact us.


How and when do I apply for aid at Nazareth?

All students applying for Federal or New York State Aid (TAP) should file the FAFSA as soon as their taxes are completed. It is very important to file for aid in a timely manner: by February 15th for entering freshmen, by April 1st for transfer students, and by May 1st for returning students. Delays can cause reduction or complete loss of some sources of aid (especially gift assistance from the college). This can result in serious problems with settling the student's term bill and can endanger registration status.

What are the School Codes for Nazareth College?

Federal Code: 002779 (to be used on FAFSA)
CSS Code: 2511 (to be used on Profile for early decision applicants only)
Undergraduate TAP Code: 0525 (to be used on NYS TAP application)
Graduate TAP Code: 5685 (to be used on NYS TAP application)

Is eligibility determined by income?

Income alone does not determine your eligibility for financial assistance; however, it is the most significant factor. Assets also influence the calculation as does family size, other family members in college, or unusual documented circumstances.

What is a "package?"

A financial aid package is a combination of the different types of aid available at Nazareth that is awarded to a student based on the information filled out on the FAFSA. This can include grants (college, federal and state), loans and work study. The total amount of aid awarded is based on the student's demonstrated need for a given year. Students must file the FAFSA each year to qualify for need based assistance.

When can I expect to hear about my financial aid package?

Freshmen and transfer financial aid packages go out on a rolling basis beginning early March or before. Returning students receive notice of renewal financial aid packages beginning in April.

How will my aid be disbursed to me?

All financial aid awarded, with the exception of Federal Work Study, will be credited to your student account. Once your college charges have been paid (tuition, room, board and fees), any additional money will be refunded to you for use in paying for other educational needs and living expenses. Wages earned from a work study job are paid directly to the student every two weeks.

How do I get paid for my work-study job?

You will receive a paycheck every two weeks. Work-study is not applied directly to the student account.

How do I pay for books before I get my refund?

For students who will clearly be eligible for a refund, it is possible to receive a book allowance on your Naz Card from the Student Accounts Office to cover the cost of books at the Nazareth Bookstore. Students should check with the Bursar's Office concerning the exact procedure.

Will outside scholarships affect my financial aid package?

Yes, if you accept any subsidized federal source of student aid, you are required by law to notify the Financial Aid Office of any outside awards you will receive. These figures will be used in the calculation of your financial aid award. Students cannot exceed their federal demonstrated need with any form of need based financial aid. If a package has already been awarded, adjustments will be made as necessary. Loan amounts and work study allotments are the first components of a package to be altered.

Are tuition payment plans available?

Yes, Nazareth is happy to offer two payment plan options for paying your semester or full year tuition expenses interest free in monthly installments. The TuitionPay monthly payment plan offered through Sallie Mae is one option. A second option is with Tuition Management Systems, a division of KeyBank. Each payment plan provider offers a ten or twelve pay payment plan that allows full time undergraduate students to pay education expenses for the fall and spring semesters interest free over a period of ten or twelve months. There is an annual enrollment fee of $55. To determine the amount of your contract calculate your total expenses (for both fall and spring semesters) less financial aid and any deposits that have already been made. To determine your monthly payment, divide your contract amount by ten or twelve. Your first payment will be due May 1 or July 1. The deadline for enrollment is the first day of the fall semester. Depending on when you enroll you may need to catch up on any monthly payments that have passed.

A second plan is offered to part time undergraduate and graduate students. Students are able to pay one semester's education expenses interest free over a period of four months with an enrollment fee of $35. The deadline for enrollment is the first day of the semester. Neither TuitionPay or TMS is offered as a summer payment option.

For further information about TuitionPay please call Sallie Mae at 1-800-635-0120 or visit their website at For information about Tuition Management Systems please call 1-800-722-4867 or visit their website:

Will an application for aid affect my admission status?

No, Nazareth College does not base its admissions decisions on a student's financial aid status. After the separate admissions decision is made, the Office of Financial Aid activates the packaging process with review of the data reported on the FAFSA.

What if my family's financial circumstances change drastically during a given year? What do I do?

Any time there is a significant change in a student's family's financial circumstances e.g. loss of employment, death of a parent, serious medical condition, divorce etc.; we encourage the student or parent to write a "letter of appeal" detailing and documenting, as appropriate, the changed situation. All appeals are reviewed and responded to in writing. If a change in aid is warranted, the student will receive a new award letter detailing the revised aid amounts.

How can I be declared an independent student?

In order to be considered independent for the 2013-2014 academic year, a student must be born before January 1, 1990, be enrolled in a graduate program, be married at the time of filing the FAFSA, have dependent(s) who receive more than half their support from you, be an orphan or ward of the court, be a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, be an emancipated minor, be in a legal guardianship or be an unaccompanied youth who is homeless. If you feel you have circumstances that make you independent but do not fall into one of the above categories, you should make an appointment with the Financial Aid Office (585-389-2310), to discuss your special situation. It is not enough to be estranged from your parents because you do not get along with them or that your parents choose not to pay for your education.

Do I have to apply for aid every year?

Yes. It's required every year since eligibility may change. In January, the Financial Aid Office will send you instructions via email for renewing your financial aid.

I don’t think I’ll qualify for financial aid. Should I bother applying?

Yes. At the very least, you will be able to borrow a low-interest Federal Direct Unsubsidized Student Loan. In order to receive a Federal Direct Student Loan, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at

If my parents are divorced or separated, which parent should complete the FAFSA?

You should answer the questions using information about the parent that you lived with more during the past 12 months. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, give answers about the parent who provided the most financial support for you (e.g. money, gifts, loans, housing, food, clothes, medical expenses). Child support payments from your other parent will be taken into consideration, and information about the income and assets of any stepparent must also be provided. We realize that these situations can be sensitive and complicated. Please feel free to discuss your individual circumstances with one of our counselors. All information will remain confidential.

My financial situation has changed. What do I do?

You should submit a letter to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships describing the change. In addition, we will need a completed Special Conditions Form (contact the Financial Aid Office to obtain the form) and copies of your most recent tax returns and W-2's. We will review the new information and recalculate your financial aid eligibility. You should also provide documentation of the change (e.g. termination letter, copies of medical bills) as well as specific dollar amounts (e.g. amount paid out in medical/dental expenses, projected amount of decrease in annual income). A change in a family's financial situation can be reviewed at any time during the academic year. Please note that we must receive this information in writing in order to properly document a change in your financial aid situation.

What does the EFC number mean on my Student Aid Report (SAR)?

The data reported on your FAFSA is used to calculate the EFC value. This value is used to determine your federal aid eligibility. Nazareth College uses this value as a guideline for determining your aid eligibility. The federal EFC value is not necessarily your out-of-pocket cost to attend Nazareth.

What is the difference between a grant and a loan?

Grants and scholarships are considered "gift aid". Gift aid is "free" money that does not have to be repaid. Loans are considered "self-help" programs. Loans have to be repaid by the borrower.

How do I apply for a student loan?

Nazareth College is a direct lending school, which means that all federal loans, including the Federal PLUS Loan, will be processed by Nazareth. To begin the loan application process you should file the FAFSA. After the FAFSA is processed, you may see a Federal Direct Loan listed on your financial aid award letter. In addition to accepting the award and submitting additional required documents, first time borrowers must additionally complete Entrance Counseling and a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note.

I have loans on my financial aid award. When do I have to repay them?

Generally, there are two types of federal loans - a Federal Direct Loan and a Federal Perkins Loan. After you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment, you have six months before you begin repayment on the Federal Direct Loan, and nine months before you begin repayment on the Federal Perkins Loan. This is called a "grace period". During the grace period on a subsidized loan, you do not have to pay any principal, and no interest will be charged. During the grace period on an unsubsidized loan, you do not have to pay any principal, but interest will be charged. You can either pay the interest or it will be capitalized - that is, the interest will be added to the principal amount of your loan and additional interest will be based upon the higher amount.

How do I pay the difference between my estimated cost of attendance and my financial aid?

Families have several options to assist with their costs. You may enroll in a monthly, interest free payment plan. Parents of dependent students can borrow from the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Program . You also have the option of applying for a private/alternative loan (i.e. non-federal) as long as you have a credit-worthy co-signer.

Do I have to reapply for financial aid next year?

Yes, you have to reapply for financial aid each year. The FAFSA application is available after January 1st. After a student's first year at Nazareth, we require that students reapply for financial aid by completing a FAFSA. Reminders to reapply will be sent to students who are currently enrolled and who are receiving financial aid.

Will my financial aid award remain the same each year?

In most cases, the answer is yes, but not in every case. Every effort will be made to continue a similar level of institutional gift aid each year. Students receiving merit scholarships do not need to re-apply to renew those scholarships. Merit scholarships will automatically be renewed at the same level, as long as the renewal requirements are met. Students must reapply for need-based financial aid each year. Assuming you remain in good academic standing, file the application forms by the recommended deadline, and demonstrate a similar level of need, you can expect approximately the same level of institutional gift aid each year.

What if my question is not on this list?

Please contact us by phone at 585-389-2310, by e-mail at or in person at Smyth Hall room 43. Counselors are available by appointment.

Personal tools