Nazareth College has the responsibility of providing and maintaining a safe and healthy work/learning environment for all students, staff, faculty, and visitors. Thus smoking is allowed on campus but there are restrictions. These restrictions are a combination of Nazareth College policy and regulations from New York State and the federal government. The guidelines below describe the campus smoking policy. For the health of all of Nazareth College, please adhere to the smoking rules to protect the rights of smokers and non-smokers alike.
- Smoking is prohibited inside all buildings, campus vehicles, and areas signed as “No Smoking”
- Smoking is prohibited in the tunnel system and the Cloister Walk between Smyth Hall and the Shults Center
- Smoking is prohibited within 20 feet of a building or building air intake locations.
- Smoking is prohibited in the main entrance walkways of buildings (i.e. areas where individuals must pass to enter a building even if you are more than 20 feet away from the entrance)
- Smoking is permitted in allowable locations and in the “smoking huts” throughout campus.
Adhering to these rules allows individuals the right to smoke and ensures an area of smoke-free air. Everyone is allowed to make their own choice in regard to smoking. Most of these regulations must be self-imposed and thus it is up to individuals to adhere to all the conditions. Individuals who fail to comply with the smoking requirements will be subject to appropriate disciplinary procedures.