What is YES?
- Y.E.S. stands for Youth Engaged with Service. Y.E.S. is a youth-led partnership between
- The Rochester-Monroe County Youth Bureau’s Youth As Resources Program (YAR)
- The City of Rochester Bureau of Recreation’s Youth Voice, One Vision youth council (YVOV) and
- Nazareth College, Center for Service-Learning and Community Youth Development Minor (CYD)
Mission: YAR, YVOV, and CYD, as partners, will promote and practice the tenets of quality, youth driven service-learning throughout Monroe County.
History of YES
The Y.E.S. partnership was initiated through a civic engagement grant funded by the Rochester Area Community Foundation in 2004. With the seed dollars from the Community Foundation, the partnership with Nazareth’s Center for Service Learning and the Community Youth Development Minor, YVOV, and YAR focused upon civic engagement of city and county youth with the college community through service-learning activities. The Rochester Area Community Foundation continues to fund some of the project, with major components of the project institutionalized within the respective institutions: Nazareth College, City of Rochester Bureau of Recreation, and the Rochester-Monroe County Youth Bureau. Each institution offers specific areas of expertise: Nazareth College offers the expertise in the theory, design, implementation and evaluation of youth development focused service-learning. YVOV and YAR bring expertise in the application of positive youth development with the best practices of engaging with youth. Y.E.S. members, in collaboration with Nazareth College students, lead and participate in:
- bi-weekly meetings
- service-learning projects (Ex. Cardboard City, Global Youth Service Day, Be the Change Day, Steppin’ Up to Solutions youth conference, CYD Classes)
- youth-led workshops related to service-learning and other topics
- service-learning and youth leadership conferences
See what we've been up to: