For More Information
Alicia Nestle at (585) 389-2457
Nazareth College is proud to announce that five students have just been named Fulbright recipients – a record-breaking number in one year for the College.
The J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board has selected:
• Jeri Beckens of Sodus, N.Y., a German major, who will teach English in Germany.
• Alyssa Pantano of Amherst, N.Y., a Spanish and inclusive education double major, who will teach English in Argentina.
• Amanda Poppe of Jordan, N.Y., a Spanish and adolescence education double major, who will teach English in Spain.
• Amber Powers of Webster, N.Y., a TESOL (teaching English to speakers of other languages) graduate student, who will teach English in Nepal.
• Daniel Simmons of Lake Ronkonkoma, N.Y., a German and Spanish double major, who will teach English in Germany.
In the last five years, there have been 12 Fulbrights awarded to Nazareth College students.
Established in 1946 under legislation introduced by the late Senator J. William Fulbright of Arkansas, the Fulbright Program’s objective is to build mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the rest of the world. Sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, the Fulbright Program is America’s flagship international education exchange. Approximately 279,500 “Fulbrights,” 105,400 from the United States and 174,100 from other countries, have participated in the Program since its inception over fifty years ago.
Founded in 1924, Nazareth College is a coeducational college with undergraduate and graduate studies in the liberal arts and sciences and professional programs in health and human services, education, and management. The College is located on 150 scenic acres near Rochester, New York, and currently enrolls approximately 2,000 undergraduate and 1,000 graduate students. Nazareth has a strong commitment to experience-based learning and civic engagement. In the past decade, Nazareth has produced 18 Fulbright recipients and two Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowships.