Skip to main content

New Student Frequently Asked Questions


Orientation | Academics | Textbooks | Financials | Health Services | Dining Services | Counseling Services | First Year | Campus Safety | Work Study | Community Service| Spirituality | Residential Life | Athletics


When is Orientation?

Orientation begins on Thursday, August 21 and continues through Sunday, August 24.

Who is Orientation for?

All new full-time students, freshmen/transfers, residents/commuters are encouraged to participate in the Orientation program. This is your best opportunity to get to know the campus and meet your classmates, as well as many faculty and staff members. All meals are included.

Can I visit campus before Orientation?

Campus tours are offered Monday through Friday at 10 a.m., Noon, and 2 p.m. each day. You can register for sessions here.


When will I register for my fall courses?

First-Year Students (Freshmen): In the first week of May, we will mail a postcard to each student who has paid the enrollment deposit. The postcard will direct you to an online link to the Freshman Course Selection Survey. Set aside an hour to complete it. Your responses to the questions in the survey will help us select courses appropriate to your major and/or interest areas. In mid-July, we'll send you another postcard to tell you when you may view your fall schedule through your  NazNet account. As AP and college credit transcripts arrive, your schedule may change, so be sure to check NazNet periodically for changes in courses and class times and locations.

Transfer Students: Once you pay your enrollment deposit, you will be invited to attend one of four New Transfer Student Advisement and Registration Sessions in either April, May, june or July. You must RSVP to the Academic Advisement Center in order to attend one of these sessions. You will meet with a faculty advisor from your major department to select courses; the Registrar’s Office will process your registration. If you are unable to attend one of these sessions, please contact the Academic Advisement Center.

What will my schedule look like?

First-Year Students (Freshmen): For the most part, the courses you will be taking in the first semester will be Academic and College Success (1 credit), a first year seminar in a core area or major (3 credits), college writing (3 credits), a foreign language (3 credits), and one or two more core courses(s) or major courses(s) (3 to 7 credits).

Transfer Students: Transfer schedules vary greatly from student to student, depending on the amount and type of courses that were accepted in transfer. Your transfer credits were evaluated as part of the admissions process, giving you an indication of which core and major requirements you have already completed through transfer credit. The on-line college catalog will give you an outline of course requirements by academic program.

How many credits will I take in my first semester?

The minimum number of credits for full-time status is 12. In order to graduate in four years, you’ll need to take an average of 15 credits per semester if you’re starting as a freshman. If you are a freshman taking only 14 in the fall, that’s okay; you’ll make up the additional credit by taking 16 in another semester. Most students take between 14 and 17 credits a semester. If you have previously taken college courses or have AP credit, those classes may substitute for some requirements and free space in your schedule. Most classes are three credits each; however, the Academic and College Success class (ACS 101), some labs, and music courses are one credit each.

I've taken some college courses already. How do the credits transfer?

First-Year Students (Freshmen): Have the college granting the credit send an official transcript to the Academic Advisement Center at Nazareth. Official transcripts usually cost around $5.00. Do this even if you took the course through your high school; we can't accept high school transcripts for college credit. Once we post your credit this summer, you will be able to see, on NazNet, the equivalent Nazareth courses on your Nazareth transcript.

Transfer students: Once the Academic Advisement Center at Nazareth receives final transcripts (with grades and/or degree completion posted) from every previous college attended, the college will post your transfer credit to the Nazareth transcript.

I've taken some AP courses. When will I know if I got credit for them?

If you indicated on your exam that Nazareth College should receive your scores, they will be sent to us in mid-July. In late July, you will be able to see, on NazNet, the equivalent Nazareth courses on your Nazareth transcript. If you did not indicate that Nazareth should receive your scores, contact the Advanced Placement Program to request that an official score report be sent to us. See a preview of what scores we accept.

What if there is a problem with my schedule?

First-Year Students (Freshmen): We pay attention to your preference for courses and times and do our best to accommodate them when creating your fall schedule for you. If you have a critical scheduling problem, feel free to call us or e-mail us so that we can work with you.

Transfer Students: If you need to make a schedule change after attending one of the three New Transfer Student Advisement and Registration Sessions, contact the Academic Advisement Center for assistance.

When will I know who my academic advisor is?

We will assign advisors throughout the summer months. From time to time, check under "My Profile" in your NazNet account. Sometime before you arrive in August, your advisor's name will appear there. Faculty advisors are not here during the summer. If you have any questions about courses, schedules, transfer credit, or any other academic issues, the advisors in the Academic Advisement Center are available and are happy to talk with you through the summer months.

When will I meet with an advisor?

You will meet your new academic advisor during the New Student Orientation, which occurs the weekend before fall classes start.

What should I do if I need academic accommodations?

You may contact Ericka Hess at 585-389-2498 or in the Office for Students with Disabilities.


How do I know what books I need for my classes?

Books for Fall classes are listed on the bookstore website. You can place your order online for pick-up or home delivery. Or if you prefer you can come to the bookstore for personal assistance.

How do I pick up my books?

Online orders for home delivery will be shipped beginning August 12th. Books will be available for in-store pickup beginning Thursday, August 22nd.

Do you sell used textbooks?

Yes, we do. The used books are right on the shelf with the new books. Used textbooks sell for 25% off the new price.

I went to the bookstore website and entered my course number and section and nothing comes up?

If you can't access your course, it means we haven't received the book order from the professor yet and you will need to check back at a later date. Feel free to email us at if you have any questions.


Where do I pay my deposit?

You can pay your deposit online, by logging into your NazNet account, or, you may mail it in with the deposit slip you received in your acceptance packet.

When can I expect to hear about my financial aid package?

Freshmen and transfer financial aid packages go out on a rolling basis beginning March 10th or before. Returning students receive notice of renewal financial aid packages in June in response to a timely filed FAFSA.

Do I need to do anything to accept my aid?

No, unless you have Federal Stafford or Perkins loans then you must complete the loan process.

How do I make sure any loans I may need or have are in place?

You need to complete a (Step One) Stafford and Perkins Combined Entrance Counseling and (Step Two) sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN). Download detailed instructions for these forms.

I have work study, can I use it as a credit on my term bill?

No, college work study is not applied to outstanding bills. You will receive payment for the hours you have worked every two weeks by direct deposit to your bank account. For additional Financial Aid information and FAQ's, please use the Financial Aid website.

When will I receive my tuition bill?

Student Accounts will send bills to all undergraduate students (who have registered during the course selection period) by the second week in July for the Fall Semester and by the first week in December for the Spring Semester. If you have registered through Academic Advisement but do not have a bill three weeks prior to the start of the semester, please call Students Accounts. Additional billing dates.

What payment options does Student Accounts offer?

What are the different costs and fees associated with tuition, room and board?

Health Services

When is the health form due?

For Fall admittance, the Medical History, Physical & Immunization form is due August 1st and for Spring admittance, it is due January 1st. The student must complete pages 1 & 2 and sign the required NYS meningococcal form. Pages 3 & 4 must be completed and signed by the student's health care provider.

NYS Law mandates proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella and completion of the meningococcal response form. Failure to submit the NYS mandated information may jeopardize enrollment.

What if I did not receive a Medical History, Physical, and Immunization form?

Your health forms were in your admissions packet. If you did not receive them or have misplaced them, please go to the forms drop-down on our website to print them.

Must my student have a physical before coming to Nazareth?

Yes, effective Fall 2011, all incoming undergraduate students must have a physical examination. Please read all information carefully to comply with specific requirements for athletes and others.

Is health insurance mandated?

Health insurance is not mandated but is strongly recommended. If your student has insurance, he/she should carry their card with them. If your student does not have insurance, please visit the Student Health Services website for insurance information.

What does Student Health Services offer?

Please visit the Student Health Services website for a complete listing of services.

Is there a fee to be seen in Student Health Services?

There is no charge for undergraduates to be seen by the RN, NP or MD. Graduate students, who do not pay the health fee, must pay $15 cash or check per visit or $50 a semester. Students are responsible for off-site laboratory fees and for all costs incurred for medical care received in the community.

What should a student do if they get sick when Student Health Services is closed?

Health Services has contracted with FoneMed, an after hours nurse triage service, to provide consultation about illness or injury during hours when we are closed. Phone: 1-866-910-5313.

Students can also call Campus Safety 585-389-2850 and/or visit the Health Services site for other local urgent care options.

Dining Services

How do I select or change my meal plan?

To review meal plan options, please log onto If you need to change your current plan for the next semester, please send an email to with your name, ID number and changes you would like to make. If you have any additional questions, please call Michelle Fitz at 585-389-2476.

When does the week start for the meal plan cycle?

Each week the meal swipes reset on Friday morning. Meal swipes do not carry over from week to week. On Friday morning your card will reset back to the number of meals allotted for each specific plan per week.

Dining Dollars, they carry over from semester to semester, but not year to year?

With the exception of the Build Your Own Meal Plan, dining dollars carry over from fall to spring, but not from spring to fall. When your meal plan is purchased in the fall, your Dining Dollars balance will reflect the amount on the meal plan purchased. For example, if you purchase a Freedom Naz, you will receive $150 Dining Dollars with this plan. Let’s say you had $50 Dining Dollars left in your account at the end of the spring semester, you will lose this remaining balance. It will not carry over to the fall semester.

Could I purchase additional Dining Dollars?

Of course! Dining Dollars can be purchased throughout the semester, at any cash register. If you add $51 or more, you'll even receive a 5% bonus! If you would like to purchase a meal plan or change your current plan for the fall semester, please send an email to with your name, ID number and changes you would like to make. If you have any additional questions, please call Michelle Fitz at 585-389-2476.

So, what are the benefits of having a meal plan or Dining Dollars, rather than paying with cash?

Having a meal plan or dining dollars on campus is a benefit…save sales tax on EVERY purchase, no need to carry cash or leave campus and lose your parking spot, and the option to choose from a wide variety of meal choices. Also, since your student ID works like a debit card our registers always give you a receipt letting you know how much money is left on your account. You never have to worry about tapping your bank account, or burning through all of your cash!

Counseling Services

What does Counseling Services offer?

Counseling Services offers crisis intervention as well as individual, couples, and group counseling to current Nazareth students. All students are eligible for an initial consultation with a Counseling Services therapist, and based upon that conversation the clinician and student will work together to find a course of action that best suits the student’s needs. There are a variety of options, including but not limited to: time-limited individual counseling with a Counseling Services therapist, joining a themed group (examples include a stress management or an educational coping skills group), or participating in a group that focuses on students’ experiences relating to others. Counseling Services also offers a variety of educational workshops, lectures, programs, and mental health awareness events to the campus community at large.

Is counseling confidential?

Yes. Counseling is confidential except when an individual is a danger to self or others. All legal and ethical guidelines regarding confidentiality are adhered to.

Why do students come to counseling?

Students come to Counseling Services for a variety of reasons, such as difficulty adjusting to college, self-exploration, depression, anxiety, family issues, relationship issues, trauma, sexual orientation concerns, eating and body image concerns, grief, and thoughts of suicide, to name a few.

Is there a charge for counseling?

No. There is no cost for counseling for Nazareth students.

If I already have a therapist or psychiatrist off campus can I still come to Counseling Services?

Yes. Often students and therapists and psychiatrists on and off campus work collaboratively.

What if I need to see a psychiatrist for medication?

Nazareth has a consulting psychiatrist who sees students. A student must be referred by one of the therapists in Counseling Services. There is no charge for undergraduates. Graduate students pay $15/session or $50/semester.

How can I make an appointment with a therapist, where are you located and what are your hours?

Appointments can be made by calling 585-389-2887, sending an e-mail to one of the therapists or stopping by the office located in Carroll Hall 101.

Hours: Counseling Services is open during the fall and spring semesters of the academic year. Daytime and some evening sessions are available. A therapist may be reached at any time if there is an emergency.

What are the qualifications of the counseling staff?

Counseling Services is staffed by a clinical psychologist, a licensed clinical social worker, and a substance abuse counselor/prevention specialist.

Can a parent or faculty member call with concerns about a student?

Yes. Anyone may call with concerns. Confidentiality applies.

First Year

Who do I contact if I feel my son or daughter is having difficulty transitioning to college?

Please contact the Center for Student Success. The Center, with the staff in the Office for First Year Resources and a network of staff and faculty, works to assist students in their academic, personal or social transition to the College. The staff in the Center can listen to concerns and provide support, outreach or referrals, as needed.

Andrew Morris| 585-389-2884

What services does the Center for Student Success provide?

  • Student advocacy
  • An early warning system for students in trouble
  • Walk-in services
  • Centralized information on learning support
  • Advice on and connection to student involvement opportunities
  • Drop-in tutoring
  • Connection to personal support services

We have resources for both first year parents and students. If you have a question and don't know where to start, we will do our very best to assist you. Contact us at 585-389-2884/2885 for more information.

What happens if a student needs to go home unexpectedly?

Notify the Director of the Center for Student Success immediately and she will ensure that a notice is sent out via Academic Advisement to all of the student's faculty, as well as key offices. While this is not considered an "excuse", it's a way to communicate about a student's whereabouts. Students are also advised to stay in touch with faculty during an absence, via e-mail or phone, so that they can continue to be aware of assignments, deadlines and such. If the absence turns into something more permanent, we can assist with a Leave of Absence from the College.

Campus Safety

How do I get my Nazareth College Photo Identification Card?

Students are offered two options:

Option I (Preferred) - Stop into the Campus Safety office
Located in Room # 21 at the lower level of the Shults Center. ID photo hours are Monday to Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 10:30 p.m.

Option II – (Email)
Students now have the option to email a photo to be used on their ID card. Please follow the steps listed below if you wish to use this option.

  • All photos must be a head and shoulders shot with a solid background.
  • The photo should be a JPEG format.
  • The maximum allowable file size is 2MB.
  • You will also need to email a legible scan of your driver’s license or another identification card with your photo on it. A school or work ID is preferable.
  • Email your photo and driver’s license or other photo ID as an attachment to
  • In the body of the message please include your name, address, phone number and Nazareth ID number.
  • Please note that we will not process an emailed photo ID card if we do not have a scan of a driver’s license or other photo ID.
  • All ID cards for new students (freshmen, transfers and graduate) will be sent to the student’s permanent address approximately 2 weeks before the beginning of your first semester.
  • Students attending summer classes will be issued an ID card 1 week prior to the beginning of classes.

What is a Security Escort Transmitter?

A Security Escort transmitter is a personal safety device issued by Campus Safety upon request to any student, faculty or staff of Nazareth College. This device, once activated in an emergency enables a campus safety officer to locate the individual who activated the device and provide assistance. This transmitter can only be used on campus and is issued free, upon request.

Do I need to register my vehicle?

All Nazareth College students are required to place a parking permit on any vehicle that will be parked on the campus. Students are asked to complete a parking permit application and sign a Title IV form. These applications are available at the Campus Safety office daily from 8:30am to 10:30pm. A parking permit application may filled out at the Campus Safety office or downloaded from the website. Students can also email James Leach at to apply.

Parking permit fees are *$75.00 per academic year or $40.00* per semester. (Sales tax is included in the price of the permit). These nonrefundable fees are charged to the student account. Additional vehicles may be registered at no charge however; we reserve the right to verify ownership by reviewing a NYS registration. All license plate or vehicle changes must be reported.

Work Study

What is Work Study?

The Federal Work Study program is a form of need based financial aid which subsidizes the student's wages. Students with a Federal Work Study award are eligible for certain student jobs to earn money toward college expenses. Each student who receives approval for Work Study employment will be allocated a certain number of hours that he/she may work (but not exceed) as part of the program. Work Study students receive a paycheck every two weeks, based on the number of hours worked. Because students receive pay directly, Work Study does not credit the term bill.

How can I find out if I am eligible for a work study job?

The Financial Aid Office reviews documentation from each student/family and prepares a financial aid package based on financial need. If you are unsure if Federal Work Study is part of your package, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 585-389-2312 or e-mail Sandy Killeen at:

How do I find a work study job?

There is a Job fair every August on the last day of orientation weekend (the day prior to the first day of classes). Most departments looking to hire students attend this job fair, while other departments post their hiring needs with the Career Services office and ask students to contact them directly. All available positions are posted on Career Services' NazLink job posting website. To access these postings new students should set up a NazLink account by following this link: Student Account At the job fair, students approach departments of interest to them. Some departments hire at the fair, and others collect information about student availability and extend hiring offers to students later in the week.

What if I am not eligible for a Work Study job, but still need to work?

There are several departments on campus that hire students who do not have Work Study eligibility. This includes the bookstore and all positions with Facilities and Chartwells Food Services. Selected other departments on occasion also hire students who do not have Work Study eligibility. In addition, a number of off-campus employers from nearby locations seek our students for part-time employment. Some of these employers will attend the job fair which takes place on Sunday, August 26th. All such opportunities are posted on Career Services' NazLink job posting website. To access this site first create an account by following this link: Student Account

Community Service

Are there opportunities to do community service?

Yes! Many departments and clubs organize community service programs throughout the year. A great place to find out more is the Department of Community Service which creates a monthly newsletter about local community service programs. For more information contact Adam Lewandowski at 585-389-2307 or


Are there religious services on campus?

Yes! The Center for Spirituality assists students from all faith traditions to connect with religious services both on and off campus. Weekly services take place on campus for Catholic Mass, Protestant worship and Zen meditation. The Nazareth Hillel group organizes gatherings for Jewish students and the Muslim Student Association supports Muslim students on campus. Two student-led bible study groups meet during the week for Christian fellowship. Center for Spirituality staff are responsive to any new needs or ideas that students may request.

Do you have a Campus Ministry Office?

Yes, the Center for Spirituality. Nazareth College has long recognized the importance of spiritual growth in the development of the whole person. The Nazareth Community is committed to fostering an environment in which individuals of all beliefs and perspectives are encouraged to explore their own spirituality, dialogue with others, and engage the world around them. Center for Spirituality staff and student leaders sponsor programs throughout the year related to spirituality, religion and social justice.

Residential Life

When will I get my room assignment?

Room assignments are mailed in mid to late June. The assignment will include your room, roommate and other vital information such as Post Office Box, roommate telephone number, etc.

Once I get my assignment, how do I know the size of the room?

Look at the Residential Life site for room dimensions and other information about your assigned space.

Are the mattresses extra-long?

No, you will receive a standard twin mattress unless otherwise requested.

What is an RA?

The Resident Assistants are upper class students living on your floor who are trained in various skills including counseling, advising, programming, resource referrals, and emergency services. They are on your floor to act as resource persons, to assist in establishing a sense of community, and to interpret College policy and assist in its enforcement.

What's in a room?

All rooms are furnished with a bed, desk, chair, closet and drawer space, wastebasket and recycle basket per resident. All rooms have basic window coverings for privacy. You will need to provide sheets (twin sized), bedspreads, pillows, blankets, rugs, and anything else you want to make your room seem more like home. A list of suggested things to bring can be found on our website.

What does it mean to live on FYE?

FYE is a residential learning community designed to enhance our students' first year at Nazareth. This comprehensive program includes housing in a newly refurbished section of Kearney Hall or Clock Tower Commons. A team consisting of a Resident Assistant, a Freshmen Seminar Instructor and the area director supports students in FYE. Benefits include special floor/hall activities and more importantly your Freshman Seminar course is taught in the hall where you live.

When can I start to move-in?

Residence halls open at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday, August 21st.

What is my mailing address?

Mailbox #
Nazareth College
P.O. Box 18900
Rochester, NY 14618


If I am playing a sport, when should I report to school?

All fall sports (Field Hockey, men's and women's soccer, women's volleyball, cross country and women's tennis) athletes will return to school just prior to the start of school. Your coach will be in contact with you regarding your move-in date and return to campus.

Will I room with another athlete?

Not necessarily. Unless you request a specific roommate, there is no guarantee that you will have a student-athlete as a roommate.

Do I need to have a Pre-Participation Physical Examination?

Per the NCAA, all first year and transfer student - athletes must complete a pre-participation physical examination within 6 months of the start of participation in athletics. This requirement is met with the physical examination required by Health Services for all new students. It is important with the completion of the Health Services form that all athletes indicate the sport they will be playing so the completion of this is communicated to the Athletic Training staff to ensure compliance with NCAA rules. Additionally to this, an orthopedic screening, ImPACT concussion testing and Baseline Balance Assessment will be performed by the Certified Athletic Trainers prior to any practice or competition. Clearance is dependent upon completing and passing this process, immunization compliance and completion of a Health History form for Health Services. All returning upperclassmen must complete a Returning Athlete Health History form with the Athletic Training staff prior to any practice or competition.

If I don't play a fall sport when do I report?

All other freshman athletes report to Nazareth with the general student freshman class on Thursday, August 22nd.

Do Fall sport athletes go through the Orientation process?

Yes! All freshman athletes, including Fall sport athletes, are expected to go through the Orientation process. Your coaches will schedule practices accordingly and allow for you to miss certain times to attend the Orientation sessions.

I wasn't recruited to play my sport, can I still try out for the team?

It is recommended that you make contact with the respective coach and inquire. Many years we have tryouts and there are some years where we do not. For Fall sport athletes you may not be asked to come back early but you could be given a chance to tryout during the first week of school.

Personal tools