- Nazareth College admissions requirements
- Department of Music Performance Audition
- Interview with Music/Business Faculty at audition time
- Placement examinations in theory, aural skills, & piano
TRANSFER STUDENTS: Accepted beginning Fall 2010
Audition Requirements: Bachelor of Science in Music/Business Degree Program
Bachelor of Science in Music/Business prospective students may choose from two options with regard to their performance audition:
I. They may follow the same requirements for other degree programs. These can be found on the Internet at: www.naz.edu/music/auditions
II. Prospective students with experience and interest in contemporary styles such as jazz, pop, rock, or musical theater, may elect to present an audition with the following repertoire:
- Voice: Sing two songs of contrasting nature. One must be an art song (for example, one of the 24 Italian songs) or a traditional aria (for example, one of the arias from the Messiah), and one may be a jazz, pop, rock or musical theatre selection. The second selection may also be composed by the candidate.
- Guitar: Perform two pieces of a contrasting nature. One must be in a classical style (This piece should demonstrate the candidate’s ability to “finger pick” in a traditional classical guitar style) and the other may be in a jazz, pop or rock style. The candidate must perform the first piece on an acoustic guitar. The second piece may be performed on an electric guitar and can be composed by the candidate. Additionally, the candidate has the option of demonstrating his/her ability to improvise if such action may enhance the audition).
- Bass: Perform two pieces of a contrasting nature. One must be performed on a double bass in a classical style (This piece should demonstrate the candidate’s ability to work effectively with a bow) and the other may be in a jazz, pop or rock style. The candidate has the option of performing the second piece on an electric bass guitar and the selection can be composed by the candidate.
Percussionists must perform in (I) Jazz/Rock/Popular OR (II) Classical:
I. Jazz/Rock/Popular - (A) drum set OR (B) vibraphone
- A. Drum Set
- Prepare a tune played with a CD(Music Minus One, Aebersold, Hal Leonard). Include comping with the chart and some fills and kicks.
- Be able to demonstrate the following styles in a 4 plus 4 format ( 4 measures time, 4 measures fill) - slow, medium, and fast swing; bossa nova, samba; afro-cuban, jazz waltz, brush ballad.
- B. Vibraphone
- Prepare a tune played with a CD. Perform melody and improvise over the changes.
- Prepare major scales and arpeggios, ascending and descending, for 2 octaves.
- Sight-read a two-mallet example.
- Prepare a solo on either snare drum, timpani, or mallet percussion. Should be NYSSMA level V-VI.
- Sight-reading, scales and arpeggios, timpani tuning and rudiments may be asked as well.
- A. Drum Set
- Keyboard (Piano): Perform two pieces of a contrasting nature. One selection should be classical in nature. If possible, the piece should be performed from memory. The second selection could be a jazz solo or a piece in a rock or popular music style. The second selection could also be a self composed selection. Auditions will be presented on an acoustic piano.
- Other Traditional Band and/or Orchestral Instruments: For all other instruments (e.g., violin, viola, cello, flute, clarinet, oboe, sax, etc.), the candidates auditioning for the Bachelor of Science in Music/Business will follow the same audition procedures that are currently employed for the Bachelor of Music Degrees in Music Education and Music Therapy. With the one exception being that for the second selection, the candidate has the option of performing a piece in a jazz, pop or rock genre. The piece may also be an original composition.