music/business program, music and business degree, music business major, Nazareth College of Rochester, NY
- Nazareth Strengths
- Production engineer
- Concert promoter
- Radio engineer
- Music retailer
- Walt Disney World
- Red Booth Recording Studio
- 95.1 The Fox/Brother Wease
- Hochstein School of Music
- Rochester Red Wings
- 81% of the respondents in a survey of a recent graduating class (with 67.5% reporting) indicated that they are either employed or attending graduate school
Bachelor of Science in Music/Business
Exciting, multifaceted, and highly competitive, success in the music business today requires a comprehensive knowledge in the areas of music theory and performance as well as business management, marketing, law, and technology.
Nazareth College's Music/Business program is the first of its kind in the Rochester area. This joint collaboration between the Department of Music and the School of Management introduces musicians to all aspects of the industry and is unique for its breadth. Students are exposed to the creative, financial, legal, technical, and marketing aspects of the industry.
Two internships are required to give students direct work experience and help them make valuable professional connections. Internships may take place in a variety of settings such as recording studios, music promotions, radio, artist management, music retailing and marketing companies.
This program cultivates a thorough understanding of the functional areas of business, as well as the economic, demographic, social, political and psychological forces that shape the music business. It offers students a global perspective and the cultural competency they will need to interact with people of different backgrounds.
- A variety of Management and Music/Business courses which teach students the knowledge and skills necessary to pursue entrepreneurial initiatives and become meaningful contributors to the music industry.
- Music courses that help students develop an understanding of Western musical history, basic music performance skills on a primary instrument, and basic piano and aural skills.
- Students are provided with rich and diverse opportunities out of the classroom to improve upon their skills as musicians and composers.
- Students learn the basics of digital recording and mixing and have access to the most modern digital recording equipment.
- Students take two internships with music professionals in the areas of the industry that they find exciting.
- Students are part of the larger Nazareth College curriculum with its strong emphasis on oral and written communication, critical thinking, familiarity with current technologies, and ethical considerations.
- Private lessons, a rock ensemble, and a jazz ensemble offer students the opportunity to study popular genres of music as well as traditional experiences in Western music.
Mark Zeigler, Ph.D.
Dr. Zeigler holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Music and a Master of Arts degree in Choral Conducting from San Diego State University and earned his Ph.D. in Choral Music Education at Florida State University. He recently served as President of the American Choral Directors Association for the State of New York and is also a member of the Music Educators National Conference and The College Music Society.