submitted December, 2013
2013-2014 NCSO Concerto/Aria Competition Winners
Congratulations to the winners of the Nazareth College Department of Music 2013-2014 NCSO Concerto/Aria Competition. The following students will be featured in the annual Nazareth College Symphony Orchestra 'Rising Stars' concert on Friday, February 21st, 7:30 pm in Linehan Chapel.
- Chantal Brundage, voice from the studio of Dr. Soo Yeon Kim
- Shade Zajac, cello from the studio of Ms. Mimi Hwang
- Suzanne Grant, saxophone from the studio of Dr. Chisato Eda Marling
The following student will be featured in the Nazareth College Wind Symphony concert on Saturday, April 12th, 4:30 pm in Linehan Chapel.
- Graham Thompson, horn from the studio of Ms. Lauren Becker
submitted May, 2013
Sophomore Kristopher Sullivan (Buffalo, New York), a music business student in the Department of Music, has been awarded a summer internship with Jazz at Lincoln Center. Sullivan will work in the organization’s marketing department during the summer of 2013, assisting with high-profile events.
“My first project will be a Chick Corea festival, a series of concerts and surrounding events May 16-18 by pianist-composer Chick Corea, including a performance with the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis,” Sullivan said. Sullivan has studied jazz and classical guitar with Rochester musicians Bob Sneider and Petar Kodzas—also a Nazareth College Department of Music faculty—respectively, and has performed with the Nazareth College Jazz Ensemble. He credits his dual background as a music business major and performer with helping him earn the position, which he sees as an opportunity of a lifetime.
Music Department Awards 2013
- Stan Martinelli was awarded the Presser Award.
- Leah Scherer was awarded the Choral Student Teacher Award.
- Joelle LaChance, Stanislaw Hoholuk were awarded the Excellence in Choral Conducting Award.
- Andrea Reece was awarded the General Music Teacher Award.
- Nicole Kalen was awarded the Instrumental Student Teacher Award.
- Cara Wood was awarded the Outstanding Student in Music Therapy Award.
- Tiffany Ho was awarded Excellence in Performance Award (voice).
- Kaillie Enser was awarded Excellence in Performance Award (instrumental).
- Andrea Reece was awarded the Achievement in Music History Award.
- Nathan Morris was awarded the Achievement in Music Theory Award.
- Sarah Hashem was awarded the Jeanne Troy Book Award.
- Stan Martinelli was awarded the Raymond Shiner Jazz Award.
- Casey Costello was awarded the Outstanding Student in Music Business Award.
submitted March, 2013
Members of the Nazareth College Chapter of the American String Teachers Association (ASTA) attended the 2013 ASTA National Conference in Providence, Rhode Island from February 27th to March 2nd. While at the conference, the chapter members were joined by Nazareth alumni Dan Polino, Anna Clement, and Elena Ryck. Nancy Strelau, president of the New York State ASTA Chapter and faculty adviser for the Nazareth Chapter, presided over many sessions at the conference. Stand out sessions included hands-on resetting a violin sound post, the unknown works of Popper, the cross connection between violin and bass, a reading session under the baton of Sandra Dackow, meeting the Miro String Quartet, and masterclasses by Marilyn Seelman and Jeff Turner, to name a few. Another highlight of the conference was the student chapter leadership meeting in which students from various colleges across the United States came together to share ideas, challenges, and suggestions with each other. Students from Nazareth gleaned many ideas and are excited for the future of the Nazareth College ASTA Chapter.
submitted December, 2013
Congratulations to the following students who were selected to give Honors recitals during the Spring semester, 2013.
Lizz Abt; Mariah Bondy; Katrya Cichanowicz; Megan Columbo; Nicole Darling; Gretchen Erlichman; Suzanne Grant; Norene Meyer; Sarah Miller; Renee Ruscitto; Hannah Schuetz; Elizabeth Sullivan; Graham A. Thompson; Jake Wark ; Stephanie Zimmer
2012-2013 NCSO Concerto/Aria Competition Winners
Congratulations to the winners of the Nazareth College Department of Music 2012-2013 NCSO Concerto/Aria Competition. The following students will be featured in the annual Nazareth College Symphony Orchestra'Rising Stars' concert on Thursday, February 21st, 7:30 pm in Linehan Chapel.
- Joelle Lachance, soprano from the studio of Ms. Joan Floriano
- Kaillie Enser, saxophone from the studio of Dr. Chisato Eda Marling
- Norene Meyer and Yuan Miao, trumpet from the studio of Dr. Barbara Hull
Nazareth College voice area participated successfully in the 2012 Central New York-Finger Lakes National Association of Teachers of Singing Student Auditions, held at Ithaca College on October 27. Several of our students made it to the final round of the competition. In addition, Sarah Miller, soprano, a vocal performance major from the studio of Soo Yeon Kim, won the First Prize in the Junior Women Category, and Quinton Harvey, baritone, music education and theory major, from the studio of Mario Martinez, won the Third Prize in the Sophomore Men category.
The CNYFL-NATS Student Auditions is a regional vocal event in which voice students compete for monetary prizes and gain valuable performance experience and exposure. This year students from Ithaca College, SUNY Fredonia, SUNY Potsdam, Syracuse University, SUNY Oswego, Houghton College, among other programs in the region, participated. Sarah Miller also received an Honorable Mention at the MTNA Empire State Collegiate/Young Artist Competition.
submitted August, 2012
submitted April, 2012
- Joshua Forget was awarded the Presser Award.
- Luke Paddock was awarded the Choral Student Teacher Award.
- Luke Paddock was awarded the Excellence in Choral Conducting Award.
- Tara Sulecki was awarded the General Music Teacher Award.
- Amber Spinner was awarded the Outstanding Instrumental Student Teacher Award.
- Kristen Muldoon was awarded the Outstanding Student in Music Therapy Award.
- Julia Natoli was awarded Excellence in Performance Award (voice).
- Stephen Keller was awarded Excellence in Performance Award (instrumental).
- Erin Smith was awarded the General Achievement in Western Music History Award.
- Katherine Niver was awarded the General Achievement in Non-Western Music History Award.
- William Colwell was awarded the Achievement in Music History Award.
- Dan Polino was awarded the Achievement in Music Theory Award.
- Jenna Skubis was awarded the Jeanne Troy Book Award.
- Jake Wark was awarded the Raymond Shiner Jazz Award.
- Cody Nover was awarded the Outstanding Student in Music Business Award.
submitted March, 2012
- Congratulations to Anne Eichenlaub, one of 30 collegiate students nationally, who was selected for the 2012 Professional Achievement Award presented by our National Association for Music Education(NAfME).
- S. Shade Zajac "Gear Groves" was written for the Nazareth College Percussion Ensemble in the winter of 2011. It will be performed on April 24 at 7:30 p.m. during the Nazareth College Percussion Ensemble Recital and on May 5th at the Eastman School of Music.
Past Student News
Congratulations to the winners of the Nazareth College Department of Music 2010-2011 NCSO Concerto/Aria Winners are:
- Eric Hauck, piano from the studio of Brian Preston
- Graham Thompson, horn from the studio of Lauren Becker
- Shade Zajac, cello from the studio of Mimi Hwang
- Chantal Brundage, soprano from the studio of Amy Cochrane
Mr. Hauck, Mr. Thompson and Mr. Zajac will be performing with the Nazareth College Symphony Orchestra on March 30 and Ms. Brundage on April 14. The concerts will be held in Linehan Chapel.
The following students were selected to present Honors Recitals during the Spring semester, 2012.
- Emma Crone, soprano
- Anne Eichenlaub, flute
- Josh Forget, piano
- Suzanne Grant, saxophone
- Tiffany Ho, soprano
- Nicole Kalen, trumpet
- Gabrielle LaBare, voice
- Joelle Lachance, voice
- Nicholas Lord, saxophone
- Nicholas MacLane, voice
- William Martinelli, bass
- Andrea Reece, voice
- Leah Sherer, voice
- Graham Thompson, French horn
Congratulations to Regina Memole
for winning the recent NYSSMA Collegiate Music Education election for
state office. Regina will be the Province 2 representative. She will
be a wonderful ambassador for both Nazareth College and Collegiate
NYSSMA events during the 2011 - 2012 school year.
- Erin Smith was awarded the Presser Award.
- Jessicca Stevens was awarded the Choral Student Teacher Award.
- Rebecca Geblein was awarded the General Music Teacher Award.
- Lauren Audette was awarded the Outstanding Instrumental Student Teacher Award.
- Caitlin Preston-Fulton was awarded the Outstanding Student in Music Therapy Award.
- Nicholas Gerling was awarded Excellence in Performance Award.
- Evan Meccarello was awarded Excellence in Performance Award.
- Gregory Best was awarded Excellence in Performance Award.
- Sarah Teetsel was awarded the Academic Performance in Music History Award.
- Kristina Knowles was awarded the Academic Performance in Music Theory Award.
- Rebecca Geblein was awarded the Excellence in Choral Conducting Award.
- Daniel Fabbio was awarded the Raymond Shiner Jazz Award.
- Michael Boerner was awarded the Jeanne Troy Book Award.
- Ashley Villone was awarded the Outstanding Student in Music Business Award.
Congratulations to the winners of the Nazareth College Department of Music 2010-2011 NCSO Concerto/Aria Winners are:
- Kristen Muldoon, trombone from the studio of Chris Van Hof
- Julia Natoli and Kristina Knowles, vocal duet from the studio of Soo Yeon Kim
- Nicholas Gerling, tenor from the studio of Kimberly Upcraft-Russ
The winners will be performing in a concert on Friday, April 8 at 7:30 p.m. in Linehan Chapel
Nazareth College recently hosted the 2010 CNYFL-NATS Student Auditions
and the Department of Music and its Voice Area showed one more time the
high level of professionalism and commitment to high artistic standards.
Congratulations to all our voice students who participated. Their
musical preparation and commitment to the process is one of the many
educational opportunities their are able to experience in their journey
towards a professional career in the field of music.
The following students were awarded prizes in their respective categories:
- Sarah Miller, from the studio of Soo Yeon Kim, awarded Third Prize in the First Year Women Category
- Waiton Farrell, from the studio of Mario Martinez, awarded Third Prize in the Sophomore Men Category
- Nicholas Gerling, from the studio of Kimberly Upcraft-Russ, awarded Second Prize in the Advanced A Category
- Scott Duell, from the studio of Amy Cochrane, awarded Third Prize in the Musical Theatre Men Category
Recently, thirteen Nazareth College music students embarked on an adventure to Austria to study music history and culture for three weeks. Along with Dr. Marjorie Roth of Nazareth College, students were guided by Dr. Michael Malkiewicz of Universität Mozarteum through Salzburg and Vienna. Some students attended a post-course trip to Venice, as well... Read more
- This past year, Tasha George-Hinnant, junior piano performance major, served as the first president of Nazareth's new Music Teachers National Association collegiate chapter and intends to remain active in the organization. She performs regularly, both as a soloist and a collaborator. Tasha plans to continue her roles as a community musician and as a teacher in the upcoming year.
- Laura Isabella, a junior vocal performance major, is currently studying abroad with Dr. Roth in Salzburg and Vienna. Upon returning from Europe, Laura will continue to work on repertoire for the coming semester.
- Waiton Farrell, as a freshman vocal performance major, performed his first operatic role as Don Alfonso in Cosi Fan Tutte. In addition, he gave an Honors recital, was a bass soloist in Schubert's Mass in G, a baritone section leader and soloist in the Christmas and Easter Mass at First Presbyterian Church in Pittsford and performed in the musical theater extravaganza "Miscast". Waiton was a finalist in the NATS Vocal Competition at SUNY Fredonia. Over the summer he plans to compile several new recital programs, including his Sophomore Qualifying Recital.
- Jessica Jarvis (Music Therapy) received the Star Award at a recent National American Music Therapy Association Conference. The STAR (Students Taking Active Roles) Scholarship is awarded by the American Music Therapy Association for Students annually at the National Conference for AMTA. The scholarship goes to individuals who are active at a school, regional and national level for music therapy. There is a scholarship for one under-graduate student, one graduate student and one intern. Jessica has also been selected to be the President-elect of the national studio organization.
- Josh Forget, (BA '13) a freshman is in his second year of scoring episodes for the 2nd season of the television show "7th Street Theater" for director David Christiano. Josh will continue to score episodes which will be aired in the fall on the NRB Network, Cornerstone Television, Christian Television Network (CTN), SAFE TV, JCTV, Angel Two, Catholic TV and Global Christian Network. Josh is an A.S.C.A.P. composer who will be working with L.A. film scorer Phil Klein on a film project this summer.
- Evan Meccarello, (BM '11) a junior in violin performance and emphasis in conducting, has been accepted into the Conductor's Institute of Opera Viva Conductor's Institute of Opera Viva in Verona, Italy in July, 2010. He is one of three student conductors selected to work with conductor Gerald Floriano. Evan is in his first year as Assistant Conductor of the Hochstein Youth Symphony Orchestra in Rochester, New York. He is also a 2009-2010 NCSO Aria/Concerto Competition Winner this year performing the 3rd movement of the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto with the orchestra in April, 2010.
- Nazareth College students were invited to perform at George Eastman House on January 24, 2010. The students involved were Alexandra Barbato, Evan Meccarello, Laura Isabella, Julia Natoli, Tasha George-Hinnant, Nicholas Gerling and David Pacific.
- Nazareth College current students and alumni were selected to perform in Mercury Opera Rochester production of La Traviata in January 15 and 17, 2010.
- Students who were involved were Lori Romanoiw (Naz Alumni), Julia Natoli (BM' 12 in Vocal Performance), Stephanie Kawzenuk (BM 11 in Music Education/Music Therapy), Sara Trybuski (Theatre, 2013), Holly Corcoran (Naz Alumni), Ryan Gerling (Music Therapy, 2012), Michael Roddy (BM '08), Charles Pallela (BM '87), Zach Ligas (BM '10), Becca Pickett (Theatre, 2010), Nicholas Gerling (BM '11), Lindsay Chasse (BM '08).