The MAAS @ Nazareth
Learn more about this exciting opportunity to study American history, literature, music, and culture in both the US and the EU.
The Master's Degree program in American Studies explores the literature, music, history, politics and culture of America. The degree advances academic and professional development of individuals who have studied some aspect of American history, language, literature, or culture as undergraduates and who are interested in deepening their understanding of American Studies. It provides interdisciplinary study and preparation for those who wish to gain entry into applied fields such as education, government or even international service.
Emphasis is placed on the role of globalization, diversity and the need for cultural competencies; a knowledge of American history; an understanding of contemporary American society, and an appreciation for American literature, humanities, and the arts.
American students have the option to spend a semester abroad. This unique opportunity combines study in Central Europe with study in the United States. American students will gain a unique perspective on their own culture through a semester abroad at the Institute for English and American Studies at the University of Pannonia in Veszprém, Hungary.
- International - This program includes an optional international component, so that students can reap all the benefits of a study abroad experience.
- Interdisciplinary - Students will learn from an international faculty with expertise in the fields of American History, English Language and Literature, Political Science, Art, Sociology, Music, Philosophy, Linguistics, and Pragmatics.
- Cost Efficient - Because a portion of the courses may be taken in Hungary, which has very low tuition rates, this program offers a cost effective opportunity for both American students and international students to earn a degree from an accredited American institution with an excellent reputation for teaching, and to study with European faculty broadly published in their areas of expertise.
- Flexible – There is both a one-year and a two-year option for students to complete their program of study.
- Certification—Students can acquire professional teaching
certification in English, social studies, or history.