Can you identify the people, place or date of this photo? If so, please e-mail email@example.com with details!
- Contact information
Nazareth College was founded by the Sister's of St. Joseph in 1924. Started originally as an all girl's school, the first class was comprised of 25 young women and classes were held in a mansion on Lake Avenue. Pictured above is the original location called "the Glass House."
In just four short years, enrollment exceeded the capacity of the building and the college was relocated to Augustine Street in 1928. Above is a picture of the first graduating class and pictured below is the campus at Augustine Street.
In 1942 the college again moved to its present location at 4245 East Avenue in the suburb of Pittsford. Pictured below is of one of the first photos of Smyth Hall, the gym and Medaille.
In the 1950s, graduate programs were added and in the 1970s there was a focus on teacher education. During this time of monumental change, the college became co-educational and independent of the Sisters of St. Joseph. While still holding many favorable connections to the Order, Nazareth College grew to become the secular, liberal arts college it is today.
In the early 2000s, the college acquired the land adjacent to campus, including the former Sisters of St. Joseph motherhouse, which has been converted into the Golisano Academic Center, pictured above. This purchase doubled the campus size and has provided faculty, staff and students with 150-acres of beauty. The recent construction of the Clock Tower Commons and Peckham Hall are further changing the face of the campus, and demonstrate the innovation and pursuit of excellence that exemplify Nazareth College.