- APPLICATION INFORMATION
If you are interested in this program, please contact Dr. Renée van der Vennet directly.
- FOR MORE INFORMATION
Dr. Renée van der Vennet
Assistant Professor of Art Therapy & Program Coordinator
Office: Carroll Hall 254
General Program Description
CAT 613 Intercultural Creative Arts Therapy (3 graduate semester hours and/or 45 CEUs)
Objectives of Sweden Creative Arts Therapy Program at NIARTE Institute:
- To demonstrate knowledge of Sweden’s history from a sociological and psychological perspective and relate its effects and influences within the cultural arts and the community
- To expand and apply clinical intervention skills focusing on art therapy with specific populations.
- To facilitate communication through the creative art process and demonstrate its effects by exhibiting the shared artistic responses. The creative process will be the shared universal language.
- To learn elements of a native traditional innovative expressive therapy and demonstrate its use as an expressive therapy technique and process.
- To be immersed in a different culture to experience opportunities for personal development and cultural enrichment.
-Students will be involved in educational lectures and experiential sessions by faculty of Niarte Institute and participate in guided tours at nationally recognized museums and historical settings.
-Students will participate in cultural events at Niarte Institute and in the local community, such as but not limited to, local cuisine, traditional music and dance, and national festivals.
-Students will attend various lectures on the use of art therapy for various populations.
-Students will observe and participate in designed expressive arts experiences at Niarte Institute.
-Students will attend and participate in expressive arts workshops at Niarte Institute.
-Students may participate in designed walking tours, attend special art and music community events, and experience specific cultural activities on the national celebration of Summer Solstice and Swedish way of life.
Please view the Creative Arts Therapy in Sweden Brochure for additional information.
Prerequisites: Graduate Students in Creative Arts Therapies, Psychology, Social Work, and equivalent backgrounds; Licensed professionals in therapies and equivalent backgrounds; ATR-BC therapists; and undergraduate seniors with the approval of the instructor.
The courses are conducted in English so there is no foreign language requirement.
For additional information about the 2011 program, please view the Niarte Flyer.
The tentative dates for the program are June 15, 2014 to June 21, 2014.
Past Trip Schedule
Departure June 17-23, 2012
Follow-up classes before and after in US at Nazareth- June and July 2012
Costs and Financial Aid
Costs for the Trip*
Total Cost: approximately $6,344 per student
Travel (including airfare, trains, and other misc. charges): $1,600
Niarte Institute in Sweden: $2,350
Nazareth Tuition: $2,394
*Please note: All costs quoted are subject to change.
A valid passport is required for this trip.
Room and board will be at Niarte Institute in Brevens Bruk, Sweden. Student will provide their own travel accommodations to Stockholm (coming and going).