Skip to main content

Useful Links

Immigration Laws and Regulations

Title 8 of Code of Federal Regulations

This is the law regarding immigration and naturalization.  Part 214.2 (f) is specifically for non-immigrant classes.

Federal Income Tax Information

Tax Information for Foreign Students and Scholars

Foreigners temporarily present in the United States as students, scholars, teachers, researchers, exchange visitors, and cultural exchange visitors are subject to special rules with respect to the taxation of their income. We hold tax workshops for international and exchange students every Spring.  Please talk with the Center for International Education if you have any questions.  We are not tax professionals, so some of your questions may be a little complex and we will refer you to a tax professional.

Tax Information from University at Buffalo

The University at Buffalo has a lot of information on their website about how to file taxes.  You can read the presentations, or you can listen to them online.  Please note that there may be some information that only applies to UB students.

Department of Homeland Security (DHS)

The Department of Homeland Security is the government body regulating all matters related to immigration. Effective March 1, 2003, the functions of the former INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service) were moved into 3 Bureaus within the Department of Homeland Security.

Other Links

  • Information on US Visas
  • US-VISIT   Information on who must enroll in U.S. VISIT and the processes used.  There are also multilingual brochures (in 16 different languages!)
  • Great Information for International Students (SEVIS approved schools, Maintaining your F-1 or J-1 status (in multiple languages!), Important documents, Travel, Employment, Links to Government sites, Tax and Immigration information)
Personal tools