Skip to main content

Current Students

We hope you are enjoying your experience at Nazareth College!

Please find some helpful information below for you while you study at Nazareth College.  If you have additional questions about the ALI program or class content, please make an appointment with the ALI Director.  If you have any questions about your legal status, requirements or benefits, please make an appointment with the Assistant Director in the Center for International Education.

Information for Current ALI Students

Maintaining Your Legal Status

Please view the document below for more information about maintaining your legal status:

Maintaining Your F-1 or J-1 Student or Exchange Visitor Status

Questions About Your Classes

If you are having difficulty in a class, please make an appointment with the Director of the American Language Institute immediately to discuss your options and resources. It is our goal to have every student succeed in our program.

Homesickness and Depression

Every international student gets homesick or depressed. Confidential assessment, referral and counseling services are available for students experiencing personal or emotional difficulties while attending Nazareth.

Please contact the Student Wellness Center for more information.

Location: Student Wellness Center

Phone: (585) 389-2500

After-hours Medical Emergencies

Nurse Advice Line: 1-866-910-5313

After-hours Mental Health Emergencies

Campus Safety: ext. 3333 or (585) 389-2850

Off-campus call: (585) 275-5151


Within the U.S.

Please inform the Center for International Education EVERY time you travel outside of the Rochester area by filling out the Travel Form below:

We need to know where you are at all times in case of an emergency. Please provide the CIE with your travel details, when you will leave and return, where you will stay, and how we may contact you there. If you have family or friends that you frequently stay with around Rochester, please let us know this as well…we would love to invite them to some of our events on campus too! Be sure to keep your documents in a safe place and do not put them in your checked baggage. Here are some links to help get you started:

Transportation Around Campus: Nazareth Shuttle

Public Transportation in Rochester: RTS

Buses: Greyhound, Megabus

Train: Amtrack

Airport: Greater Rochester International Airport

Outside of the U.S. and Re-entry

When traveling outside the United States, you will need to have the proper documents to return. Please inform the Center for International Education if you are thinking of leaving the United States for any reason (even to go to Canada) so that we can check to make sure you have all the proper documents. Be sure to check with the country you are visiting, to see if you need a visa to visit that country. You will need a travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019 from a Designated School Official or Responsible Officer in the Center for International Education. The signature is valid for 6 months (J-1 students) or 1 year (F-1 students) following the signature date. If you are visiting Canada, you may need to apply for a visitor visa to enter Canada. Click here for more information on how to apply.

Please view the Traveling Outside of the U.S. Travel Checklist for additional information.

Useful Links

Study in the States: Provides great information for students before, during, and after their studies! Many of the other websites listed below are found on this website too!

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services: United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), a DHS agency, authorizes benefits for students and exchange visitors. If you want to work, extend your stay, change your immigration status or become a U.S. citizen, you must request a benefit from USCIS.

U.S. Department of State: The Department of State issues visas through U.S. consulates and embassies, many of which offer student-specific information on their websites. DoS can help you through many steps of the process of studying in the United States, including finding the right school or program, getting a visa, or becoming an exchange visitor.

Travel.State.Gov: At you can find information about getting a visa.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection: The United States Customs and Border Protection is one of the Department of Homeland Security's largest and most complex components, with a priority mission of keeping terrorists and their weapons out of the United States. It also has a responsibility for securing and facilitating trade and travel while enforcing hundreds of regulations, including immigration and drug laws.

International students will interact directly with CBP Officials at the Port of Entry (POE) when entering and exiting the United States.

Internal Revenue Service: The Internal Revenue Service collects taxes from those who work in the United States. International students performing services in the United States as employees are liable for United States Social Security and Medicare taxes.

Looking for Something To Do?

Do you need something to do? There are always opportunities to become involved in clubs and sports on campus as well as to attend events off campus.


There are plenty of opportunities to participate in on-campus events!

Campus Life


Are you looking for something to do around Rochester? Would you like travel somewhere close by over the weekend? Here are some suggestions to get you started:

Looking for Something To Do Around Rochester

Personal tools