Instead of attaching a document to an email being distributed to large numbers of recipients, an excellent option is to save it to a GoogleDocs account, and sharing access to it. This is a far more effective way of sharing documents. The basic steps are:
- First, "Save" the document on your computer (.doc, .docx, .pdf, etc.).
- Open your Gmail account.
- Open your "Documents" (top of the page).
- Select "Upload / Files."
- Browse for the document and select it.
- There is no need to convert the document if you get a popup “Settings” box.
- Once it is uploaded, click "Share."
- In the "Share Settings" popup, select the way in which you wish to share, then "Save." (The second option, “Anyone with a link,” would be most useful if you are sharing this document via an email or announcement.)
- You will be shown a url in "Link to share." Copy this address and paste it into your email message. When the recipients receive this email message, clicking this url link, or copy/pasting it into their address bar, will open the document.