Full time employees, after three months of employment, are entitled to full tuition remission for one undergraduate or one graduate course per semester. After one year of full-time employment, tuition remission applies for two undergraduate or two graduate courses.
After one year of full time employment, a spouse and/or dependent children (as defined by the IRS) who meet admissions requirements and maintain satisfactory academic standing as described in the College catalogues, are eligible for full tuition remission, less any available financial aid, in pursuit of a baccalaureate degree. Students are expected to apply for all scholarships and educational grants for which they may be eligible. Graduate courses may be taken on a space-available basis at 66% tuition reduction.
Tuition remission is defined as tuition only, and does not include fees, private music lessons, study abroad expenses, workshops or room and board. Credit bearing group music lessons are allowed under tuition remission, but fees are not included. These lessons are on a space-available basis for staff and dependents, which will be determined, at least three days prior to the course start date. Independent study courses are not eligible for tuition remission.
Limited tuition benefits are available to matriculated employees and dependent students for study abroad courses. No more than two full terms of study are eligible for the benefit. Students are required to pay all of Nazareth’s out-of-pocket expenses, including but not limited to extra tuition, fees, excursions, room and board, etc., as determined by the Office of Student Accounts. Eligible participants are expected to verify the amount of the benefit with Student Accounts prior to applying for the tuition waiver.
The tuition remission waiting periods are waived for the employee and dependents if the employee has completed the prescribed waiting period (three months or one year) of full-time service with an accredited college or university within five years immediately prior to joining Nazareth College.
After one year of full-time employment, full-time employees, their spouse and/or dependent children (up to age 24) are eligible to receive tuition remission for credit-bearing undergraduate (not graduate or non-credit) courses at St. John Fisher College.
The College also participates in the Tuition Exchange Scholarship Program (www.tuitionexchange.org), a cooperative arrangement among more than 400 American colleges and universities to make tuition scholarships available to dependent children of eligible employees. The Financial Aid Office administers this highly competitive program and should be consulted for details.
The following link is provides detailed information on the College's educational benefits:
Tuition Remission Instructions for Faculty and Staff
Faculty & Staff taking classes at Nazareth
- Complete Tuition Waiver Request Form (with all appropriate blanks filled in, including semester and year) and return to Human Resources. Your supervisor needs to initial the Tuition Waiver Request form under Employee Signature even if the class is during non-working hours.
- The Tuition Waiver Request Form must be approved by HR prior to registering for a class. If there are any changes to a class or section, a new form must be completed and approved by HR. The Registrar’s Office will not accept forms with class or section changes.
- One course per semester may be taken during working hours, with prior approval of the department chairperson or director, who will take into consideration how the absence will affect the needs of the department, the ability of the department to continue providing good customer service during the absence, and what effect the absence may have on the workload of other employees within the department. Class time during working hours, including travel time to and from class, must be made up during that workweek.
Dependents of Faculty and Staff taking classes at Nazareth
- Complete the Tuition Waiver Request form before the start of the semester, with all appropriate blanks filled in, including semester and year. The Tuition Waiver Request Form needs to be returned to the Human Resources Department, accompanied by a copy of the employee’s most recent income tax form showing the student and/or spouse as dependents.
- Each employee will be given a Tuition Waiver Fee Agreement to sign once, regardless of how many dependents they have taking classes, the length of time between semesters when the benefit is used, or whether they are full or part time students.
Study Abroad Program
- VERY IMPORTANT Because the cost of study abroad classes varies from program to program, the employee is required to pay any out-of-pocket expenses incurred by Nazareth. It is recommended that you check with the Office of Student Accounts regarding any cost you may be responsible for before registering for study abroad classes.
Nazareth employees/dependents attending St. John Fisher College
- The waiting period for employees taking classes at St. John Fisher College is one year from date of hire for up two undergraduate courses per semester.
- The waiting period for a spouse or dependent (up to age 24) taking classes at St. John Fisher College is one year from date of hire for full tuition remission, less any available financial aid, in pursuit of an undergraduate degree. Must meet admissions requirements and maintain satisfactory academic standing as described in the College catalogs.
- If you are taking a class at St. John Fisher College, you will need to request a letter from Nazareth College Human Resources Department each semester, which indicates that you are eligible for the tuition benefits.
Dependents (up to age 24)
- If the tuition is for a dependent, you will need to request a letter from Nazareth College Human Resources Department each semester indicating that your dependent is eligible for the tuition benefits. You will need to bring the letter to the St. John Fisher Human Resources Department with a copy of your most recent income tax return showing that the student is claimed as a dependent, and verification of the dependent child’s age (birth certificate, driver’s license, etc).
Facilities and Physical Plant Employees and Dependents
A small group of Facilities/Physical Plant personnel who were former employees of Nazareth College were “grandfathered” with tuition benefits at Nazareth College. Tuition benefits are not available through St. John Fisher College or the Tuition Exchange Program.