of Art Therapy Graduates pass their BC exam!
(Outstanding Klimt costume hand sewn by Rachel Eskandari, Class of 2014!)
Our Master of Science Creative Arts Therapy Program is the only program of its kind in the region. Upon completion of this program, you will earn a Master of Science in Creative Arts Therapy degree with a specialization in Art Therapy or Music Therapy. As part of the offered training, creative art therapy students have the option of taking electives specializing in Play Therapy or Yoga Therapy. This adds to your tool box when working with various patient populations post graduation.
Key to the strength and success of the program is our faculty, all of whom are licensed mental health professionals. Throughout the program, you'll work with and collaborate with this group of professionals who continually demonstrate excellence in teaching, practice, research, publishing, and service. Beyond the accomplishments and publications of the entire faculty, the Creative Arts Therapy Department houses an eclectic mix of instructors from the following fields:
- Art Therapy
- Music Therapy
- Marriage and Family Therapy
- Dance / Movement Therapy
- Mental Health Counseling
- Play Therapy
- Yoga Therapy
- Personal and professional growth – The program fosters personal and professional development through diverse clinical experience, rigorous supervision, quality research, and a commitment to self-awareness, reflective practice, and interprofessional collaboration.
- Diversity - Receive a diverse education with a wide range of media, settings and populations.
- Hands-on experience - Theories learned in the classroom are directly applied in clinical work with clients in more than 60 internship opportunities. In addition, there is an on-campus art therapy clinic, a music therapy clinic and a play therapy clinic which serve a wide range of clients, including including children with autism, adults with communication impairments, burn survivors, and people challenged by dementia, mental health disorders, and physical disability.
- Strong faculty – All faculty are licensed mental health professionals.
- Excellent placement - Job placement is very strong. In fact, our graduates are normally able to find employment in their chosen fields in as few as six months after graduation. Many of our students find work in the surrounding region with such organizations as the Rochester Psychiatric Center, Hillside Children's Center, Jewish Home, and others.
- Accredited - The Creative Arts Therapy Department has been approved as licensed-designated by the New York State Education Department. The Art Therapy Program is accredited and approved by the American Art Therapy Association, Inc., and the Music Therapy Program is approved by the American Music Therapy Association and accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.