Skip to main content

Professional Credentials & Requirements

Professional Organizations

There are 4 credentials that apply to practice Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology in New York State:

NYS Certification as: Teacher of Students with Speech & Language Disabilities (TSSLD)

  • This is the required credential for providing speech and language services in the school setting. Upon completion of an approved bachelor's degree program, the student is awarded an initial certificate. The initial certificate is valid for 5 years after activation, during which time the teacher must complete a Master's degree in SLP or Communication Disorders and during which time the holder of the initial certificate must complete three years of full-time teaching experience. Upon completion of these requirements the holder is eligible to apply to have the certificate converted from "initial" to "professional" status.
  • Audiologists employed within the school setting function under their NYS license, and do not need either the initial or professional teaching certificate.
  • NOTE: For students entering after December, 2014, initial certification as a Teacher of Students with Speech & Language Disabilities will be available only at the graduate level. 

NYS License to Practice

  • A license to practice Speech-Language Pathology is required in New York State in most settings other that the schools. Exempt settings include public schools (the TSSLD is required in that setting) or wholly funded federal agencies. A license in Speech-Language Pathology requires completion of a Master's degree in the professional area with specified coursework and supervised practicum, successful completion of a national examination and at least nine months of clinical experience supervised by a licensed Speech-Language Pathologist.
  • A license to practice Audiology is required in New York State. The license in Audiology requires a Master's degree in Audiology, or equivalent. The professional doctorate: Au.D. meets this equivalence. The applicant must also have appropriate supervised clinical experience.

Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC)

  • The CCC is a nationally recognized credential awarded by the American Speech-Language Hearing Association for employment as an Speech-Language Pathologist or Audiologist. The CCC requires completion of a Master's degree at an accredited college, a passing score on a national examination and 36 weeks of paid clinical experience under the supervision of an ASHA-certified professional.

Board Certification in Audiology

  • The American Board of Audiology offers certification in Audiology, and specialty area certificates within the field.


Personal tools