Support groups can be a powerful tool for anyone affected by aphasia, including the individual diagnosed as well as friends and family members. They are located all over the United States and throughout Canada. Another option for a support system are online discussion forums which are helpful if there are no support groups in your area. Often times when an individual experiences a stroke and acquires aphasia, the family members may have a difficult time coping with the process and may need somewhere to let their frustrations go, seek advice, or learn coping techniques. A support group can be very beneficial to all who are affected by letting people know that they are not alone.
- Click for Support Groups Through the National Aphasia Association
- Click for Discussion Forums
- Effective Tools for Family Education Article by Jacqueline Hinckley
- Helpful document including a legal checklist and personal stories
Stage 3 of the aphasia experience, regaining self, involves family and friends re-establishing roles and providing a positive support system for the individual with aphasia. It is critical that family and friends are encouraging and supporting their diagnosed loved one so that they can regenerate a sense of hope within themselves.
"Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealt to you represents determinism; the way you play it is free will." - Jawaharal Nehru
"Success is the good fortune that comes from aspiration, desperation, perspiration and inspiration." - Evan Esar
"We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"In time of difficulties, we must not lose sight of our achievements." - Mao Tse-Tung
"Believe it is possible to solve your problem. Tremendous things happen to the believer. So believe the answer will come. It will." - Norman Vincent Peale
"The pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; the optimist, the opportunity in every difficulty." - L.P. Jacks
"Nobody is stronger, nobody is weaker than someone who came back. There is nothing you can do to such a person because whatever you could do is less than what has already been done to him. We have already paid the price." - Elie Wiesel
"While there's life, there's hope!" - Roman Proverb
- Inspirational quotes:http://aphasia.pbworks.com/w/page/8029864/Inspirational%20Quotes
- Support Group Picture: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=149818228041
- Encouragement picture: http://www.popularvirals.com/encouragement.php?page=3
- Aphasia support groups: http://www.aphasia.org/aphasia_community/aphasia_community_groups.html
- Aphasia Discussion Forum: http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Aphasia/support-group