teaching english to speakers of other languages, ESOL certification, TESOL, english language instruction, education degree program, teacher certification, Rochester NY
- Program Director
Dr. Cindy McPhail
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
The population of English language learners is one of the most quickly growing populations in our country. One of the most highly sought-after teacher candidates is the English to speakers of other languages (ESOL) certified teacher. While the primary responsibility of the ESOL educator is to help students achieve full proficiency in English, the Nazareth College TESOL graduate education programs also strive to prepare ESOL educators who:
- develop deep understanding of their students, and combine this understanding with knowledge about language and about first and second language acquisition
- design and implement learning experiences which promote both the development of English language proficiency and mastery of the concepts and skills necessary for academic success and the fulfillment of personal potential
- address not only language, but also the academic and socio-cultural and self-advocacy needs of diverse English Language Learners.
- Initial Certification Program: This program is for students with no prior teacher certification who seek to obtain their initial teacher certification in ESOL.
- Additional Certification Program: This program is for students who currently hold teaching certification and seek to obtain an additional teaching certificate in ESOL.
- TESOL for International Educators: This non-certification program is for students who wish to learn to teach English language learners abroad, or who wish to teach outside the public school venue in the United States.
- Post-Master's ESOL Certification-Only Program: This 18 credit hour program is for students who currently hold certification, have completed a master's degree, and seek to obtain additional NYSED ESOL certification.
- Highly sought after - Local districts are frequently looking for ESOL certified teachers.
- A balanced focus on the practical application of pedagogy as well as an understanding of theory and research development.
- Actively involved faculty with a solid foundation of understanding about the needs of English language learners in local school districts.
- Flexible - courses are offered in the late afternoon and evening.
- Hands on – required student teaching and field observation hours for ESOL certification are completed in a variety of settings, providing optimum preparation experiences.
- ESOL certification is for all grades.