literacy education program, specialist certification, education, teacher, graduate studies - Nazareth College, Rochester, NY
- Community Events
Pre-K at College
Held at Nazareth College, this annual event encourages urban children and their families to consider college as part of their plans for the future. Learn more.
Annual Teen Book Festival
Nazareth hosts this annual literary event that connects teens and authors, promoting reading and writing. Learn more.
Nazareth College’s graduate literacy education programs (Birth-Grade 6 and Grades 5-12) prepare specialists who can meet the literacy needs of all learners, but, particularly, those who are challenged by learning to read and write. By completing their program’s requirements, they earn a master’s degree as well as eligibility for NYSED certification as a literacy specialist. Candidates gain the appreciations, understandings, and knowledge as well as developing the necessary habits so they can successfully influence students’ learning by what they know and by what they can do.
- Literacy Specialist: Birth - Grade 6 - View course requirements
- Literacy Specialist: Grades 5 - 12 - View course requirements
- Students, however, may choose to take one additional course to be eligible for both certifications.
- Program designed to meet individual needs - Students, with the support of the programs’ director and their advisor, may select a course of study to meet their personal needs. They may enroll in as few as one course per semester (part-time) to as many as three (full-time).
- Teaching experience – Benefit from actual teaching experiences in both the on-campus Marie Callahan Reading Clinic, which serves members of the community who need reading and writing support and area school districts.
- Community involvement - Participate in community outreach such as the Teen Book Festival (hosted at Nazareth) and the Pre-K@College event where young children are exposed to college and literacy activities.
Dr. Naomi Erdmann
Lourdes Hall, Rooms 5/12
Fax: (585) 586-2452