The Advanced Certificate in Critical Urban and Community Education* is a program for teachers, school staff and community educators who recognize the need to enhance the learning experience for today's students in urban settings. They will improve their instructional outcomes by integrating appropriate tools and effective instructional design techniques across curricula.
The Advanced Certificate program will develop strength-based, creative and persistent leaders who can employ an understanding of the social and political context of urban environments to mitigate entrenched impediments to achievement and equity in educational endeavors. The program combines research and academic rigor with the practical skills needed to work well with youth and families from broadly diverse backgrounds, in under-resourced institutions, as part of large and complex governance systems in communities restrained by poverty and alongside an ever-changing professional peer group.
The estimated cost of the five course program is $8,520 (based upon 2010/11 graduate tuition rates and completion of the program in one academic year). Certificate program students receive special discounted tuition. Certificates are awarded in June for those who have completed their program within the previous year. The program is designed so that a student may complete within one academic year, however the program must be completed within three years.
*This program does NOT qualify a student for New York State Education certification.
- SPF 501 Social Foundations of Education
- SPF 620 Issues and Condition of Urban Education
- SPF 624 Intercultural Instruction
- SPF 628 Special Topics in Critical Urban and Community Education (a capstone seminar)
Electives (Choose 1):
- INCL 601 Diverse Learners, Learning and Learning Environments
- TSL 604 Foundations or Bilingual/Multicultural Education
- Or another course outside the department, with approval of the Program Director
*12 credit hours are anticipated to be transferable to the Masters' degree in CUCE currently under development at Nazareth. Each of the 5 courses are eligible for transfer to master's level programs at Nazareth, where applicable.
The advanced certificate program provides specialized training for professionals who hold a minimum of a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with a cumulative index of 3.0 and a B average in the major field of study. Applicants should submit completed paperwork no later than 30 days prior to expected start date.
- Completion of a baccalaureate degree at an accredited institution with a cumulative index of 3.0 and a B average in the major field will be required for admissions into this certificate program.
- There is no formal application to apply for the certificate. Students declare interest in pursuing their certificate through discussions with their academic advisor and the Program Director.
- The student's academic advisor approves all electives, and is best able to provide students with guidance on available electives approved for the certificate.
Dr. Shirley Sommers
Program Director, Advanced Certificate in CUCE
(585) 389-2958 or (585) 395-5884