What is Integrative Studies?
Integrative Studies allows you to explore a question that intrigues you in three upper-level courses. You choose the question; you choose the cluster of courses; you explore! Integrative Studies is characterized in the following three ways:
- CHOICE: You choose your three IS courses based upon your own interests.
- RESPONSIBILITY: You demonstrate your integration of materials from the three courses and other parts of the Core.
- OPPORTUNITY FOR REFLECTION: You have the opportunity to reflect on your Integrative Studies and showcase what you have learned in the Core Milestone Experience.
The Three Courses
The courses that make up your Integrative Studies can be any course: liberal or professional, in different disciplines or in one, and, if you like, from your minor or second major. The only limitations are these:
- The courses must be 200-level or higher
- You can only use one course from your major (e.g., if you are a Math major, only one course can have a MTH prefix)
- You cannot use a P-EQ course
There are a number of aids to help you choose your three IS courses:
- INTEGRATIVE STUDIES CLUSTERS: 'Pre-packaged' sets of courses that are intentionally integrated by the faculty and staff at Nazareth College. These courses investigate similar sorts of questions and problems from different perspectives. Click here to see them.
- INTEGRATIVE STUDIES THEMES: More general themes without courses attached to them to help you start thinking about the possibilities
- YOUR ADVISOR, PROFESSORS, NAZARETH STAFF & YOUR FRIENDS: Talk to them! If you need some help, they're sure to give you some suggestions.
- WORKSHOPS: Every semester (just before Course Selection time for the next semester) a "How to Choose Your IS Courses" workshop will be offered.
Integrative Studies Artifacts
In each of your IS courses, you'll need to choose at least one assignment or piece of work that you think best shows the progress you're making in the exploration of your question. You'll archive this artifact in P@N, just like you did with your artifacts from your P-EQ courses.