Reflection, awareness and integration are the hallmarks of the Nazareth College undergraduate Experiential Learning requirement. You may choose to engage in one (or more!) diverse EL Pathways depending on your interests. But no matter which one you choose, you will be challenged to:
- Describe and reflect on what you have learned and how you came to learn it
- Explore, evaluate and articulate your values--both personal and social
- Integrate and apply the skills and knowledge you have gained in the classroom to practical experiences and problems found in our world.
Experiential Learning Pathways
At present there are seven EL Pathways at Nazareth College:
- Service Learning (course-based)
- Student Leadership
- Co-curricular Service
- Educational Field Hours, Student Teaching, Practica & Clinicals
- Study Abroad
- Undergraduate Creative Activity, Research & Scholarship (U-CARS)
How is Experiential Learning integrated with the other parts of the Core?
Ideally, you will take part in a number of EL Pathways while you are at Nazareth College. From these, you will choose the one that best fits with your Integrative Studies to be your 'Exemplar EL'. If you aren't able to choose an EL Pathway that has clear connections with your IS, then your Exemplar EL should be connected with your Major. In any case, you will connect your EL with what you learn in the classroom both while you are in the middle of it, and afterwards in the Core Milestone Experience.
(If you are unable to complete your EL before you take the Core Milestone Experience, you will use the CME to learn from other students about the various EL Pathways, what is possible in each, and which one may best suit your interests.)