- For More Information
For more information on the Partners for Learning program, please call 585-389-2307.
Partners for Serving (PFS) is a program that allows students at Nazareth College the opportunity to work with human service agencies in the city of Rochester in a variety of settings. At their sites, Partners mentor, tutor, facilitate activities for youth and adults and also assist with administrative tasks.
PFS partners with the following agencies: St. Joseph’s Neighborhood Center, The Sojurner House, The Center for Youth Services, Hillside Family of Agencies, Unity Health’s Barbara Wolk Schwarz Residence, Catholic Family Center, The Community Place of Greater Rochester, Mary’s Place and Generation Two. Partners for Serving requires a 3-12 hour commitment per week at sites, with the majority of those hours occurring early evenings and on weekends. Workshops and trainings are required.
Goals of Partners for Serving:
1. To partner with human service agencies in the Rochester area by participating in a reciprocal relationship. In this mutual exchange, students will serve their communities while heightening their social awareness and strengthening their professional skills.
2. To give Nazareth College students a unique work experience that connects them to the Rochester community.
3. To sharpen students’ leadership skills through relationship building, facilitating activities and teamwork.
Partners play a large role in the success of this program. We are looking for people who are dedicated, work well as a member of a team, are interested in serving the community and have great problem solving, communication and leadership skills. Leadership opportunities are available within the program through the Partners Council.
Students who serve in Partners for Serving are paid $8.75 per hour through Work Study or Campus Employment. All majors are welcome to apply.
Partners for Serving Council
The Partners for Serving Council consists of veteran Partners who assist in the leadership of the program. The Council members:
- Attend Council meetings throughout the year.
- Are proactive and engaged leaders.
- Bring Partners together to reflect on their experiences.
- Check in with Partners at site periodically through email, phone calls and meetings.
- Work with the Program Coordinator, Student Coordinators, and the Site Supervisor regarding staffing assignments and communicate with all parties periodically.
- Help plan orientation, final reflection and workshops.
- Receive leadership training throughout the year.
- Work as a team to problem solve.
- Assist in reviewing and revising the goals of the Partners for Serving program.
- Help recruit partners for the following semester.