- Designated Contact Person
Resident students wishing to provide a specific contact person can do so by stopping by the Campus Safety Office or by e-mailing the information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The report of a missing person is a serious matter. If you have reason to believe that a person is missing from Nazareth College Campus, immediately notify Campus Safety, residence Life Staff or Department Supervisors, who become aware of a missing person concern on-campus, must report the concern to Campus Safety as soon as possible.
Upon notification to Nazareth College Campus Safety that a person/student is missing from campus, the Director of Campus Safety or designee will be notified. In addition if the report is regarding a resident student the Director of Residence Life (or designee) and the President of Student Development will be contacted.
All calls regarding missing person(s) on campus will be dispatched and assigned to an officer for initial investigation. Appropriate follow up/response by the Campus Safety Investigator (and if not available) the Director and/or Associate Director of Campus Safety will be initiated.
Resident Student Notification
Each student living in an on-campus student housing facility has the option to register a confidential contact person to be notified in the case that the student is determined to be missing, and only authorized campus officials and law enforcement officers in furtherance of a missing person investigation may have access to this information. If the resident student has not registered a contact person, the local law enforcement will be notified that the student is missing. The parents of students less than 18 years of age and not emancipated, will be contacted if the student is the subject of a missing person report. Resident students wishing to provide a specific contact person can do so by stopping by the Campus Safety Office or by e-mailing the information to email@example.com.
When Nazareth College Campus Safety is contacted regarding a missing person report involving a resident student, member of the college community, or a visitor to campus and an initial investigation determined the person may be missing:
- Campus Safety will report all such incidents to law enforcement after 24 hours; however this does not preclude contacting law enforcement in less than 24 hours if circumstances warrant a more immediate implementation.
- Campus Safety will utilize all resources available on campus to provide assistance to local, state and federal law enforcement agencies in the investigation of a missing person report. Among the resources that may be utilized or provided to law enforcement are: video surveillance camera records, photographs of the missing person, medical/dental records if available on campus, assistance in locating possible witnesses on-campus, physical evidence, on-campus school and work schedules, parking records, card key system usage, media relations, establishment of a command post and/or search parties on-campus.
In addition to responding to calls for persons believed to be missing for more than 24 hours, Law Enforcement will assist Nazareth College in the investigation when:
- The missing person is less than 18 years old and is missing from his or her normal and ordinary place of residence and whose whereabouts cannot be determined by a person responsible for the child’s care.
- The missing person is elderly and incapable of his or her own care.
- The missing person, regardless of age, has a serious physical or mental health condition requiring frequent medication or treatment.
- The missing person has a history of attempted suicide or has recently expressed suicidal thoughts.
- The missing person may be the victim of a crime or accident.
- The missing person is missing under circumstances inconsistent with the person’s normal behavior.
If the person is missing from a location off-campus, contact the local or State law enforcement agency in the area where the person is believed to be missing. If the person is also a member of the Nazareth College community appropriate assistance will be provided to law enforcement.